Inside the Briefcase

Inside the Briefcase

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How I feel about movies. By Kyle Kernan


When the lights flicker and credits roll I forge the most powerful and intimate connection with a film; because I’m left there completely absorbed, transcended, intoxicated, dazzled, and manipulated. I’m moved somehow, something struck a deep nerve. I’m still lost in a story that wasn’t real, but it was the most real thing I’ve ever felt. I was made to believe this world I was immersed in still exists somewhere intangible, and this realization is both poignant and bitter sweet.

When I think of a transcendental ending I think of Rushmore. When all problems and tensions have subsided and everyone busts out in a communal dance to The Faces “Ooh la la,” Wes Anderson breaks the action into slow motion and you’re left there believing: even though the film is over, this photograph or snap shot of these character’s bliss and happiness will linger on forever after the credits roll. Only a great film can produce such a message. Like Jake Scully putting his mind out of his paralyzed body into a body that can walk again, movies relay a similar power and magic for me: you could say movies are my avatars.

I did my majority of film viewing this decade, and I don’t think there will be a better one for me this lifetime. This was probably my most tender, innocent decade of my life, and so many films had a profound effect on me, either it be good or bad, proactive or detrimental. As you age you learn that movies reflect life: some stray from reality, as others are acute reminders of what life really is. I’ve learned that it’s important to tell the difference while considering a good film from a bad one. I’m going to hold this decade and this year in my heart forever as there were many great moments that came across the silver screen.
(Warning: Contains spoilers in memorable scene sections)

No comments:

Post a Comment